Tintern Abbey (Wye Valley) in the snow
Tintern Cistercian Abbey was founded on 9 May 1131 by Walter de Clare, Lord of Chepstow. It is situated adjacent to the village of Tintern in Monmouthshire, on the Welsh bank of the River Wye, which at this location forms the border between Monmouthshire in Wales and Gloucestershire in England.
The abbey fell into ruin after the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the 16th century. Its remains have been celebrated in poetry and painting from the 18th century onwards. In 1984, Cadw, the historic environment service of the Welsh Government and part of the Tourism and Culture group, took over responsibility for managing the site. Tintern Abbey is visited by approximately 70,000 people every year.